Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Driving Test

Here is one of my favorite road signs in Singapore from day one. Most days I don’t notice them anymore but every time they catch my eye on the expressway I have to smile all over again. Did it make you smile too? What exactly does it mean? Umbrellas this way?  Umbrella store to the left?  Didn’t take too many downpours to realize it is signage basically saying “Shelter from Rain”. It is telling the poor motorcycle riders where to go for shelter in the rain, either to wait it out when it’s really bad (there could be 50-100 men just waiting under cover of the bridge) or to suit up in their rain gear and keep going.

 

I’m studying for my driving test today.  Here is my favorite actual question to date:

When you approach a “zebra crossing”, (that means a marked crosswalk with stripes painted on the ground)

A)     Always stop before the stop line before proceeding.

B)      Slow down and be prepared to stop.

C)      Slow down and let the zebra cross the road safely.

 

I’m going with C. What do you think?  Will I pass the test?  I figure it’s always best to err on the side of caution when a zebra’s life is at stake. For heaven sakes who wrote that question? We live in the tropics sure, but not in a wildlife refuge!

 

Other questions that actually could flub me up would be things like “How many expressways are there in Singapore?” Does that actually need to be knowledge I internalize to be a safe driver here? And what is the legal limit for the blood alcohol and breathalyzer tests? I don’t care. I’ve never had a drink in my life. It doesn’t affect me.  Except for on test day when I do need to know.  So I will study up and make sure I know it all. Most things are totally reasonable and need to be learned so I’ll just take the zebra question and smile as I click the box for my answer – protect the zebra at all costs!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Ah, driving tests - I don't miss them. Fortunately they set the bar pretty low. On the other hand, I'm always concerned about the people who DO know how many expressways there are, but DON'T know what a zebra crossing is :) Shouldn't there be some test to identify people who don't ACTUALLY know how to drive?

Marvis Carswell said...

LOL @ your answer! Well, I think you made the right decision there – always look out for the zebras, haha! Anyway, what happened when you took the test? I bet you were nervous at first. Well, it’s normal to be nervous, but if you know what you have to do, it’ll be as easy as another speed bump on the road.