Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Sunday, March 18, 2012

C-Section Pic

You can't do that in the US! No photos in the vicinity of the surgery so no one gets sued. They put Ashlyn on my chest. My hands weren't strapped down like they did in Virginia and Texas so I could sort of hold her while they continued to work on my innards and told Brian he could take a picture. Then the anesthesiologist told him to get by me and he'd take a picture. Then he says can he take another one so he can get Dr. Loh in it too. He was totally cool and entertaining.


After Brian left the operating room with the baby they had to work on me for an hour more to get me put back together properly. As the doctor said multiple times, "it's really a jungle in there" after four c-sections. The anesthesiologist was cracking jokes and entertaining me which was a great way to distract me because while there was no sharp pain it did become incredibly uncomfortable to the point I wanted cry and to tell them to just stop pushing and squishing and pulling and leave me open. I was done. I guess it's just hard to fix some messes like me.  Notice the white ribbon on the left. It apparently held me open and they hung and IV bag on the other end as a counter weight. That cracked me up. Totally functional. Totally primitive. I like it.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Love the picture!
That's weird you had so many restrictions in the US -- in my c-section we had a camera, the nurse offered to get pictures of all three of us, I wasn't strapped down and we were supposed to get to do skin to skin right there in the operating room while they closed me up (but Owen had some problems that first little bit and by the time they got him all stable I was shaking pretty hard and just told Greg to cuddle him 'til we got to recovery.)
I think they're making lots of improvements in that whole area of c-sections and the Mom's experience of it -- and I know Utah's ahead of the curve in quite a few hospitals. Bums me out they were so restrictive for your other births, but I'm glad you had a better experience this time around!
(I've also always walked myself out of the hospital after having a baby in all three Utah hospitals I've delivered in. I just noticed that was something else you'd mentioned in another post. Weird how different all hospitals can be!)

Jackie said...

Congratulations to you all! and glad you are both home. Everyone looks so excited and happy to have her in the family. Great pictures. love
Jackie