Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Anti-Angie

That has been rattling around in my brain for about two weeks. “The Anti-Angie.” It’s how Brian described Gina one afternoon while we were talking. Now that I put it in writing, it seems like that would be a very negative thing, but it totally wasn’t. We were discussing how I’m trying to loosen up and how things are so different with her here. She does laundry and finishes every single batch. She starts dinner before lunch by getting out the proper meat to thaw. After lunch she chops vegetables that she will need. Midafternoon you will find Gina assembling the meal so it’s ready to pop in the oven. She’s amazing. She, as Brian puts it, is the anti-Angie.

 

When she started I told her that I don’t love cooking so I cook a double batch or enough of anything I make to do two dinners and plan it as a leftover meal. It was fine with me for her to continue that way and just warm a meal every other day. I have come to the conclusion that she is paid to cook here so she wants to do a great job. She cooks something every single night. I figured on the weekend she had Saturday and Sunday nights off so I would end up cooking what I wanted. Nope. Since she cooks so many amazing meals in the week, we spend our weekends eating her leftover meals. It’s fantastic, delicious and mentally confusing to me. You can’t teach an old dogs new tricks when it comes to meal planning.

 

And left overs…that was a source of contention when we were newlyweds. Brian ate leftovers for lunch. In the Robinson home that was a major sin. If there was enough of something for another meal then by golly it better be used for a meal. If there wasn’t enough to feed the family then it would be used as a pick your own dinner buffet night. We did NOT eat leftovers for lunch. Never. EVER. Now he is laughing inside and telling me to please eat leftovers for lunch. I remember about once a week. Otherwise I have a standard old everyday variety sandwich I’ve had every lunchtime since birth.

 

The Anti-Angie is pretty great. I wonder how much of her style I will be able to adopt while we’re together. I’m learning lots from her. I figure anything I can learn to do like Gina can only make me better at this housewife thing. I do have to say though, we went to dinner and a movie last Friday night and left her with all four kids at dinner time with the bedtime routine after their bedrooms had been fumigated so she had to set up new sleeping bag beds in the playroom and settle them down from the excitement while she bottle fed Ashlyn. You know, regular life in a family. It was the first time since she arrived on February 1st that I saw dishes still in the sink at 9:30pm when we returned home. It made me feel just a little bit better that she might not really be superwoman like I thought. Four kids must have kept her pretty busy. I know they keep me on my toes!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I LOVED this post. LOVED it. I wish every woman could have a helper for at least a portion of their lives.